Imágenes de páginas

look elsewhere for somebody to perform the work, and that in all probability there was no man in the Commonwealth better fitted to advise the committee in this matter than Mr. Goodell himself. Mr. Goodell was therefore asked to submit for consideration the names of such persons as he thought might be competent to carry on the work. In reply to this Mr. Goodell wrote, giving a list of names, beginning with that of James Bradley Thayer, professor at the Harvard Law School, followed by that of James Barr Ames, who was then the Dean of the Harvard Law School and three or four other names of prominent lawyers. These were all busy men who as a rule would not have thought for a moment of taking the place, but amongst them was the name of Melville M. Bigelow, whose connection with the law school of the Boston University and his office in town in the Tremont Building, brought his field of work so close to the State House that he could very readily divide his time between his various occupations and take on this in addition. Mr. Davis therefore visited Mr. Bigelow and tendered him the nomination for the place. Mr. Bigelow took the office and the publication of the Province Laws was renewed, following, however, the system of marginal references and losing the valuable notes the continuation of which was of so much importance to students. It is not unlikely that Mr. Goodell’s refusal to accept the position was influenced by the fact that he could no longer carry on the system of annotation which had given the Province Laws such value for historians. As a sentimental proposition he might have wished to see his name alone connected with the complete publication, but as an editor he could only have regretted being obliged to furnish such unsatisfactory notes as marginal references. It is evident that the committee in their contention that Mr. Goodell’s services ought to be secured as editor, were influenced by his annotations in the past and that they did not take into consideration the fact that these notes would not be permitted in the future. In conclusion, a word of praise ought to be said of the attitude of the Governor and Council in the matter of the reappointment of Mr. Goodell. It was no small thing for them to lay aside their prejudices and adopt in substance the recommendations of the committee.

Mr. WILLIAM C. LANE exhibited one of two known copies of a broadside dated 12 May, 1801, containing a list of all students — including one who had died and eleven who had already left College — who belonged to the Class of 1802. This list, which presumably was printed by the Class, was given to the College Library by Mr. J. de Bernière Smith. It antedates by two years the first list of students known to have been printed by the College.

The PRESIDENT announced the death, on the tenth of December, of DAVID RICE WHITNEY, a Resident Member.

Mr. FRANCIS RUSSELL Hart of Milton was elected a Resident Member.

The Rev. EDWARD HALE communicated a Memoir of EDWARD HENRY Hall, which Mr. Hale had been requested to prepare for publication in the Transactions.






EDWARD HENRY HALL died at his home in Cambridge, Massachusetts, February 22, 1912, after a short illness following an attack of pneumonia. Two years previously he had undergone an operation which proved more serious than had been expected and no doubt taxed his vitality heavily. But he had seemed in excellent health during the summer and fall of 1911, and had been engaged in his usual activities up to the time of his final sickness.

He was born at Cincinnati, Ohio, April 16, 1831. His father, the Rev. Edward Brooks Hall, was born at Medford, Massachusetts, September 2, 1800. He graduated from Harvard College in 1820 and from the Harvard Divinity School in 1824. He was ordained to his first pastorate at Northampton, as minister of the Second Congregational Society (Unitarian), August 16, 1826, but resigned on account of ill health December 31, 1829. Upon his recovery he took charge of the newly organized First Congregational Church (Unitarian) at Cincinnati, Ohio, in September, 1830, supplying its pulpit until June 13, 1831. In 1832 he was called to the pastorate of the First Congregational Society (Unitarian) of Providence, Rhode Island, and was installed November 14, 1832. He continued in this pastorate, increasingly honored and beloved, until his death, March 3, 1866. He received the degree of S. T. D. from Harvard in 1848. Harriet Ware, his first wife, and the mother of six children of whom Edward Henry was the only one living at the time of his father's death, was a daughter of Henry Ware the elder, Hollis Professor of Divinity at Harvard from 1805 till 1840, and Hollis Professor Emeritus from 1840 until his death, July 12, 1845. She died June 24, 1838, and Dr. Hall later married Louisa Jane, daughter of Dr. John Park of Boston, who, with their daughter, Harriet Ware Hall, long survived him, and was as a beloved second mother to her stepson.

Edward Henry Hall prepared for college at the Providence High School, and was admitted to Harvard in 1847, during the presidency of Edward Everett. He graduated from College in 1851, during the presidency of Jared Sparks, and from the Harvard Divinity School in 1855, when James Walker had become president. Among his classmates in college were James M. Codman, Charles Franklin Dunbar, William Watson Goodwin, Samuel Abbott Green, Augustus Thorndike Perkins, William Dwight Sedgwick, George Otis Shattuck, and Frederick Winsor. Frederick Frothingham, George Hughes Hepworth, and Alfred Porter Putnam were among his classmates in the Divinity School, and Joseph Henry Thayer, who later graduated from Andover Theological Seminary, was a student in the Divinity School during Hall's senior year. He was ordained as minister of the First Parish of Plymouth, January 5, 1859, and continued in this first pastorate until July, 1867. Meanwhile, from September 12, 1862, until June 18, 1863, he served as chaplain of the Forty-fourth Regiment of Infantry, Massachusetts Volunteer Militia, of which Francis L Lee, of the Harvard Class of 1843, was colonel, in active service in the Civil War, winning the respect and confidence of all in the regiment. On February 10, 1869, he was installed as minister of the Second Parish at Worcester.

Of the task upon which he entered here, and the spirit in which he performed it, his successor, the Rev. Austin S. Garver, spoke with peculiar insight and sympathy in an address which was given in the church of the Second Parish at a memorial service held April 14, 1912, and which was afterwards privately printed. Mr. Garver said:

The mid-nineteenth century was not a happy time for the liberal preacher. The earlier biblical and creedal liberalism still held sway in most of our churches. . . . The harsher doctrines had been exchanged for milder, but the basis of belief remained much the same. Meanwhile floods of light were let in on these questions from scientific and historical studies which demanded new interpretations and especially fresh search for the foundations of reality. There was much confusion, and timidity. The old landmarks were disappearing, old sanctions were losing their authority. Men inquired if anything would be left. The answer was, all that is remains; nothing has been lost except what is illusory. But after all something precious had gone or was threatened, and the loss or fear was full of pain. ... It was the early stage of that transition in Christian theology of which we have not yet seen the end. Something of this you must have in mind, if you would understand the difficulty of his (Mr. Hall's) position, or appreciate the fearless and gentle wisdom, the loving and considerate spirit and the unfailing courtesy and tact, which marked the delivery of his message. For him the past was gone; its religious experiences were not adequate to contain the larger thought of life and God and duty. For many in his congregation whom he most respected, the familiar ideas and phrases were infinitely dear and satisfying. Under such conditions it would be too much to expect and more than the truth would warrant, to say that there was a complete understanding from the first. Yet so evident was his sincerity, so profound and reverent were his convictions, that he soon had the entire confidence of his parishioners. . . . Mr. Hall was fortunate in having a people who were accustomed to think and weigh evidence, and little by little his impressive utterance had its effect and drew men to his side in loyal and admiring support.

After thirteen years he received an invitation to become the minister of the First Parish in Cambridge, as successor to the Rev. Francis Greenwood Peabody. Partly through a conviction that a minister could not for much more than ten years prepare sermons which would be of fresh and helpful interest to the same body of people, but partly also because of a modesty which prevented him from realizing how strong a hold he had upon the affection of his Worcester church and the community, he decided to accept this invitation. But "he left a sorrowing church behind him; he went away in spite of the entreaties and amid the tears of all, old and young.”

He was installed at Cambridge March 30, 1882. Here again he won increasingly the respect and affection of his people, and again it was in spite of protests and entreaties that he resigned, March 31, 1893. In the more personal relations with his parishioners he had “by his simplicity and unaffected sympathy with those to whom he ministered,” the Rev. George Batchelor wrote in the Christian Register of February 29, 1912, "attracted and bound to himself many, and especially young people. Although he was never mar

« AnteriorContinuar »