« AnteriorContinuar »
1. In general, Come and see the Lamb that had been slain,
...2. See the justice of God; in two things....3. See the
1. The pardon and forgiveness of our sins--a renewed par-
don of daily trespasses, and a confirmed pardon of all tres-
1. Here we must be sorry for sin : three things here to ex-
cite this sorrow....2. Contiding in Christ...in his power....
Four reasons why at the Lord's Supper we must make vows :
1. We must, by solemn vows, bind ourselves up from all :
In general we must live so as, 1. To adorn our profession
....2. So fulfil our engagements....3. To make grateful re-
Four things premised : this ordinance may comfort us, 1.
Against the remembrance of our former sins and provoca-
COMMUNICANT'S COMPANION :
INSTRUCTIONS AND HELPS
FOR THE RIGHT RECEIVING OF THL
The names by which this Ordinance is usually called.
In discoursing of this great and solemn ordinance, which every serious Christian looks upon with a peculiar regard and veneration, (because I purpose, as God shall enable me, to open as well the doctrine as the duty of it,) it will be proper enough, and I hope, profitable, to take some notice of the several names by which it is known.
First.... We call it the sacrament: this is the name we commonly give it, but improperly, because it doth not distinguish from the ordinance of baptism, which is as much a sacrament as this; a sacrament which we have all received...are all bound by, and are concern. ed to improve, and live up to. But when we call this ordinance the sacrament, we ought to remind ourselves that it is a sacrament; that is, it is a sign, and it is an oath.
1. It is a sign, an outward and visible sign of an in ward and spiritual grace : for such sacraments are designed to be. It is a parable to the eye; and in it God uses similitudes, as he did of old by his servants, the prophets.... Hos. xii. 10. In it Christ tells us earth ly things, (John iii. 12.) that thereby we may come to be more familiarly acquainted, and more warmly affected with spiritual and heavenly things. In it