« AnteriorContinuar »
to the Island. These people took the loghouses that had been left the
before. They began farming, and did not waste their time.
12. In one of these log-houses a little girl was born. She was the first baby of English parents born in the New World. Her name was Virginia Dare. The Governor of the settlement was her grandfather.
13. After a time the grandfather had to go back home to get things for the settlers. He found his country at war, and he could not return to the island for three years.
14. When he did get back, he could not find any trace of Virginia Dare. Her parents and all the settlers were gone.
Only the empty houses stood as before. No word was ever heard of any of the settlers.
15. Were they killed by the red men ? Did they try to go back to the other side, and were they lost at sea ? Did they cross over to the main-land and starve to death ?
16. No one knows. Was not this a sad fate
for the first baby of our race in the New World ?
SIMPLE SIMON MET A PIEMAN.
1. Simple Simon met a pieman
Going to the fair ;
“Let me taste your ware.”
2. Says the pieman to Simple Simon,
“Show me first your penny ; Says Simple Simon to the pieman,
“ Indeed I have not any."
3. Simple Simon went a-fishing
For to catch a whale;
Was in his mother's pail.
4. Simple Simon went to look
If plums grew on a thistle;
Which made poor Simon whistle.
WHAT DOES LITTLE BIRDIE SAY?
BY ALFRED TENNYSON
What does little birdie say
What does little baby say,
1. Jamie ran down to the big front gate. He put his little face to the iron bars, and looked out between them. His mother had just driven away.
2. Jamie was just five. He had never been out of that, big gate alone. Nurse or papa or mama always went with him, and took him where they wished to go.
3. He wanted to go alone. He wanted to see a Giant. He wanted to see the House that Jack Built. He wanted to see Brother Rabbit and ask him about the “ Tar Baby.” He wanted to see the ships come in.
4. He wanted to see the wood where The Three Bears lived. He did not want to
in the wood. Oh, dear, no. He just wanted to stand at the edge and peep far in.
5. Papa was always too busy to take him. Nurse said she didn't know where to find them. Mama always said that in a few he could go and find them for himself.
6. But he did not want to wait. He had a mind to go right now, by himself. But would it not be better to take Rover ?
Rover was the only thing in the world that did what Jamie said do. Everybody else told Jamie what he must do,