Imágenes de páginas

At the age of 21 he was elected Superintendent of Schools; at the age of 23, he taught in graded schools, as Principal, at Taycheedah; in 1862, he was Principal of the High School at Mattoon, for one year, and in 1863, he attended Rush Medical College, at Chicago; in 1864, he was chosen Principal of the Public School at Lexington, and in the spring of 1865, commenced the practice of medicine at Rapp, Woodford Co., until the fall of 1868, when he was appointed Principal of the school at Atlanta, one year, and in 1869, he located in Le Roy, where he has continued the practice of medicine; he is a graduate of the College of Physicians and Surgeons at Keokuk, Iowa, from which college he has his diploma, and also holds a diploma from the State Board of Health of Minois ; he was elected to deliver the valedictory address at the time of graduating from the college at Keokuk. His marriage with Jennie McGill was celebrated Oct. 8, 1865; she was born in Erie City, Penn., March 28, 1848; her parents emigrated West, and located in Lexington, Ill., in 1853, where they still live; the children of Thomas W. and Jennie (McGill) Keys are three in number— William M., born Oct. 28, 1866; Minnie F., born Feb. 1, 1870, and Carrie D., born June 1, 1873.

JAMES KIMLER, farmer, Sec. 28; P. 0. Le Roy; one of the early pioneers of McLean Co.; born in Loudoun Co., Va., Aug. 16, 1811; he emigrated with his father Moses Kimler, when quite young, and located in Bourbon Co., Ky., where he was raised upon a farm, until 1827, when he removed to Montgomery Co., Ind., living here until he emigrated to Illinois, in the year 1832 ; during the three years following, he was employed by his uncles John and Calep Kimler, near Bloomington ; in the winter of 1835, he went to Milwaukee, Wis., where he engaged in stock-dealing, buying his cattle in McLean and surrounding counties, driving them to Milwaukee, where they were disposed of, when he would return for another drove; he followed this business several years, the last three years of which he was engaged in partnership with Benjamin Cox; in 1836, he, with Benjamin Cox, located a claim of 865 acres, in Milwaukee Co., Wis., which they entered, upon its coming into market in 1839, and sold the same in 1843 ; a portion of this claim is now built up with solid buildings; a part of the city of Milwaukee now standing upon the same; in 1843. he purchased seventy-six acres upon Sec. 17, Empire Township, where he lived until 1848, when he located upon his present place, where he has since lived, and where he now owns 260 acres of land, within one mile of Le Roy. He was married to Cassandra Jane Clearwater, Jan. 28, 1838; she was born in Putnam Co., Ind., Oct. 22. 1821 ; their children were, Mary J., born Nov. 10, 1838; Elizabeth, born May 13, 1840, died Oct. 22, 1843; Martha E., born Aug. 24, 1842; Harriet B., born Feb. 13, 1845; Sarah C., born Dec. 17, 1847; Elizabeth A., born March 23, 1850, and Caroline, born May 20, 1853. Mrs. K., was daughter of Reuben and Jane Clearwater; her father was born in North Carolina, March 6, 1781 ; died April 9, 1865, in McLean Co.; her mother was born in Tennessee, June 20, 1781 ; her maiden name was Jane Miller; she died June 3, 1864 ; in 1835, Mr. Kimler's father, Moses K., came to Illinois and located upon Sec. 29; he died in Le Roy, February, 1850 ; Mrs. K. died at the residence of her son in 1869. Mr. and Mrs. K. have taken a deep interest in the cause of religion, having joined the M. E. Church in Le Roy in 1840.

JOHN KLINE, farmer, Sec. 16; P. 0. Le Roy; born in Franklin Co., Penn., Feb. 27, 1827, where he attended the common schools, until 15 years of age, when he learned the blacksmith trade, which he followed until 1850, when he went to California via the Isthmus, sailing upon April 11; he was shipwrecked upon a reef of the Caucus Islands, upon the 25th of May, but after a detention of one week, resumed his voyage, reaching San Francisco, Aug. 13, having been four months and two days upon the trip; he immediately went to mining upon his own account for eighteen months, meeting with fair success; he then formed a partnership with Sam Austin, and engaged in dealing in provisions and mining supplies, freighting the same from Stockton to the mines with their own teams; he followed this business until June, 1853, when he returned to Pennsylvania, and in October, 1853, came to Bloomington, McLean Co., Ill.; then to Le Roy, where he purchased a farm of 190 acres in Downs Township; he then worked at his trade in St. Louis, during the winter of 1853 and 1854; returning to Le Roy he rented his farm; then went to Pennsylvania for the summer, and in the fall returned to Le Roy, and after working at his trade for Messrs. Gilmore & Wright a short time, purchased the interest of Mr. Gilmore, continued in business with Mr. Wright until Dec. 25, 1855; in the spring of 1856, he purchased seventy acres of his present place, to which he has added by purchase, until he now owns 140 acres, upon which he has good farm buildings ; he followed farming upon his present place from 1856 to 1858, when he again associated with his old partner, Mr. Wright, and continued the blacksmith trade, until 1862, since which time he has given his whole attention to farming; he was one of the first Aldermen of Le Roy, serving two terms ; President of the Board of Trus. tees while Le Roy was a village ; Township Trustee several years, and Supervisor of the Township. His marriage with Ellen Buck was celebrated Jan. 15, 1856 ; she was born in Indiana, Dec. 7, 1830 ; she was the daughter of Hiram Buck, one of the early settlers of McLean (0.; Mr. Kline has seven children now living, having lost two by death; the living are Lida, born Oct. 29, 1856. now attending the Wesleyan University, at Bloomington ; Erwin, Jan. 1, 1858, living at home; Lenora, Sept. 1, 1859, now teaching at Le Roy; Clara, April 18, 1861, now teaching at Mansfield; Charles and Grace, twins, April 11, 1865; Harry B. and Irvin, twins, Aug. 4, 1869, the latter died in infancy.

D. L. MOREHOUSE, retired merchant and farmer ; P. O. Le Roy; born in Lower Canada, near Montreal, Feb. 19, 1809; at 3 years of age, his father, with the family, was driven from home by the English. during the war of 1812, escaping without removing anything of value, save the horses which they rode, and upon one of which Mrs. Morehouse rode, and took with her the subject of this sketch and an infant, making their way to Onondaga Co., N. Y.; they lived there one year, then to Genesee Co., and, in 1817, located in Orleans Co., where they lived until 1832. Mr. M. received a limited education in his youth. being employed in various pursuits for the support of his father's family, three years of which he worked upon the Erie Canal. In the winter of 1830, he attained his majority, and started out to seek his fortune, taking with him all his worldly possessions, which were tied up in a pocket-handkerchief; he worked that winter cutting cord-wood, at 163 cents per cord, working in the woods, with the snow two to three feet deep, and receiving his pay in corn, at 44 cents per bushel, which he hauled to mar. ket, a distance of seven miles, and exchanged for goods ; in the spring he hired out for one year, for $10 per month, and the two years following he worked eight months each year, at $12 and $13 per month. The following fall, he married his present wife, then a poor orphan, and the next day commenced to cut logs to erect his log house, which was a rude structure, with a stick chimney, plastered with mud, with stones piled up some three to four feet at the back, as a further protection from fire; they then went a distance of seven miles and ran in debt $19 for such household articles as they were obliged to have, which debt was a source of great anxiety to Mr. Morehouse until liquidated, the following winter, by hauling staves; his first cupboard and table was an old chest, which answered the double purpose, and which he now has in his house as a relic. Having become settled in his log house in the spring of 1834, he commenced farm. ing for himself, which business he followed until 1853, when he found his financial affairs would allow a wider field of labor, which he extended by engaging in the mercantile trade, and also purchased a lathe machine saw, grist and shingle mill, which different branches of business he successfully carried on until 1857, when he sold out his store, rented his farm and mills, and, coning to Illinois, he formed a business partnership, in the latter part of the year, under the firm name of Humphrey, Wakefield & Co., and engaged in the grocery and milling business at Le Roy. He sold his milling interest in 1859, and, in 1860. he, with his son Cyrus S., engaged in the general merchandise trade, which they followed until 1864, when his son succeeded in the business, and Mr. Morehouse retired until 1873, when he purchased the dry-goods store of T. J. Barnett, and after running the same several months, sold the stock to his son C. S., at Champaign City. Mr. Morehouse commenced life without capital, and has, by his own hard labor, economy and care. ful business management, in which he has been nobly assisted by his amiable wife, accumulated a good property; he has settled upon his children upward of $12,000, and has reserved enough to support himself and wife through life. He has taken a deep interest in the cause of religion, having been an active member of the M. E. Church since 1830, his wife joining about the same time. Mr. Morehouse has held an official position in the Church nearly always since he was admitted A member; is a hard worker; contributes liberally, having donated $1,000 to the erection of the M. E. Church at Le Roy, and a like amount to the Centennial of Methodism, in 1866. His marriage with Mary A. Smith was celebrated Oct. 29, 1833; she was born in Morris Co., X. Y., April 19, 1810; six children were the fruit of this union-Olive A., born Oct. 15, 1834 (now Mrs. Dr. S. H. Birney, of Urbana); Hiram N., born Oct. 22, 1836 (now farming near Le Roy); Cyrus S., born Dec. 13, 1839 (merchant at Champaign); Amos R., born Feb. 9, 1842 (lumber merchant, Big Rapids, Mich.); Orrill M., born July 5, 1844 (now Mrs. E. C. Barthlow), and Philo F., born Sept. 4, 1847, died Sept. 15, 1849.

J. W. MURFIELD, farmer; P. 0. Empire; born in Jefferson Co., Ohio, Aug. 18, 1821 ; he removed, with his parents, to Franklin Co., where he lived with them until a years of age, when he purchased a farm and engaged in farming in Franklin and Union Counties, until he emigrated and located in Empire Township, McLean Co., in the spring of 1865; he then purchased eighty-seven acres of land, to which he has since added by purchase, until he now owns one hundred and twenty acres of land, upon which he has good farm buildings. His marriage with Malinda McCauleyans was celebrated Dec. 31, 1843; she was born in Virginia July 5, 1816, and died in McLean Co., Ill., July 30, 1875, leaving four children, viz., Barbara C., born March 21, 1846; Vianna, born April 11, 1852; John M. C., born July 8, 1854, and Madison E., born Oct. 11, 1857. Mr. M eld rried for his second wife Matilda J. Downing, May 28, 1876; she died Aug. 12, 1877. His nuptials with Mrs. Kate Clement were celebrated Feb. 11, 1879; she was born in Pennsylvania July 16, 1833 ; her maiden name was Kate Stine; of the deceased children, two died in childhood, and one-Isabel J.—was born Aug. 23, 1817, married C. H. Cayton, and died Nov. 5, 1872, leaving three children.

ADAM MURRAY, stock-dealer and livery stable, Le Roy; born in Cosbocton Co., Ohio, March 22, 1843, where he followed farming until 19 years of age, when he enlisted Aug. 22, 1862, in the 122d Ohio Vol. Inf.; he served first in West Virginia, then with the Army of the Potomac, under its different commanders, until the close of the war, being mustered out of serv. ice July 3, 1865, at Cleveland, Obio. He was in many hard-fought battles, among which were the battle of the Wilderness, Winchester, Petersburgh and at the siege and capture of Richmond. After his discharge, he returned to Ohio, and in the spring of 1866, came West, and located at

[graphic][merged small][merged small]
[ocr errors][merged small][ocr errors]

Le Roy, McLean Co., Ili., where he has since lived ; he has been extensively engaged in buying and shipping stock to the Eastern markets, in connection with which he, in 1875, also engaged in the grocery and provision trade; he sold his store in 1878, and now, in connection with his stock business, keeps the only livery stable in Le Roy. His marriage with Alexine McMakin was celebrated May 5, 1870; they have four children, now living, by this union-St. Elmo, Kate A., Ada and Charles P.

JCHN W. MAREAN, retired blacksmith, Le Roy; the subject of this sketch was born in the city of Frederickton, British Provinces, July 10, 1821 ; his father, Aaron Marean, was born sixteen miles north of Portland, in the town of Standish Cumberland Co., Me., where he lived and followed blacksmithing (with the exception of five years when he lived in the Provinces, from 1818 to 1825) until his death, which occurred in 1834; John W. removed from the place of his birth with his parents to their native place, Standish, when he was two years of age ; here he spent the days of his boyhood; attended the common schools during the winter and worked at blacksmithing during the summer until 17 years of age, when he finished his trade, which he followed in Standish until 22 years of age, when he removed to Portland, where he lived one year, then to Lewiston two years, and, in 1846, removed to Richmond on the Kennebec River, where he followed his trade until he emigrated West, when he located in Bloomington, McLean Co., I., in the spring of 1856; in the spring of 1857, he removed to Le Roy and followed his trade until August, 1862, when he enlisted in the 94th I. V. I.; he was mustered in as Corporal of Company G; he with his regiment went to St. Louis, and was engaged in the campaign through Missouri and Arkansas; then to Vicksburg and New Orleans, and, in the fall of 1863, was detailed to return to Le Roy and recruit for the regiment, remaining here through the fall and a portion of the winter; he returned to his regiment, then at Brownsville, Texas, and, in the spring of 1864, went via New Orleans to Ft. Margan, Alabama, and, after capturing the above fort, remained there during the winter, and, in the spring, he was detailed to assist in making up a pontoon train, going to Mobile, from which place he marched across the country to Baton Rouge, on the Mississippi River; after the surrender of Lee, an order being issued for all soldiers on detailed duty to report to their regiment, he made his way back to Mobile, Ala., and joined his regiment, having, with a companion traveled a distance of upward of eight hundred miles upon a capital of 50 cents, being often placed in peculiar circumstances; the writer of this article is inclined to the belief that the rebel element with whom he was contending, involuntarily contributed liberally to their support during this tedious and perilous journey; in June, 1865, he was forwarded to Galveston, Texas, where he received a sunstroke which came near proving fatal, and his partial recovery may be attributed only to the careful nursing and skillful medical attention which he then received ; after recovering sufficient strength, he came via New Orleans and Cairo to Springfield, 111., where he was mustered out of service in August, 1865. Mr. Marean served in the army three years, and has his health much impaired from the effects of the hardships and exposure of army life, but more especially suffers from effects of the sunstroke received while in Galveston in the summer of 1865; to such an extent has he suffered from the latter cause, that he works but very little at his trade, devoting his attention to fine stock. His marriage with Emily Wilson was celebrated in Portland, May 18, 1846 ; she was born in Westbrook, Cumberland Co., Maine, June 18, 1818; three children were the fruit of this union-Sarah A., born March 12, 1847 (now Mrs. J. V. Smith, of Le Roy); George Edgar, Sept. 9, 1849 (now living at home); Annie Wilson, Nov. 14, 1851, died Aug. 24, 1852, in Richmond, Maine.

WILLIAM OLIVER, farmer, Sec. 1 ; P. 0. Le Roy; born in Washington Co., Md., Jan. 30, 1808; he was the son of John Oliver, who was born in the North of Ireland Nov. 28. 1773, and located in what is now Ross Township, Ohio, in 1811; he was in the war of 1812, and, at its close, returned to his farm in Ohio, and followed farming until his decease, which occurred Feb. 12, 1852. The mother of William Oliver was born in Maryland Sept. 2 , 1789; her maiden name was Mary Beck; she died Sept. 13, 1852. William was the oldest son and was brought up on the farm until 26 years of age, when he rented land for several years, until he purchased a farm upon which he lived until he emigrated to Illinois and located upon Sec. 1, Empire Township, McLean Co., in the fall of 1852; here he purchased 200 acres of land, upon which he settled, and where he has since lived. His marriage with Mary Cowvill was celebrated in Ross Co., Ohio, April 24, 1834 ; she was born in the above county May 14, 1803 ; six children were the fruit of this union, three of which are deceased, viz., William, born Feb. 2, 1813, died Feb. 18, 1864, and two which died in infancy; the living are Mary Jane, born April 23, 1836, John, March 28, 1838, and Henry H., Feb. 21, 1841 ; the father of Mrs. Oliver was Eleazer Cowvill; he was born in Virginia and died in Ohio at the age of 86 years. The maiden name of her mother was Jane McFarland, born in Massachusetts and died in Ohio, aged 74 years.

JACKSON OLIVER, farmer, Seo. 19; P. O. Le Roy ; born in Ross Co., Ohio, Feb. 13, 1817; his father, John Oliver, served in the war of 1812, after which he followed farming in Ohio until his death Feb. 12, 1852 ; he was born Nov. 28, 1773, in Ireland. The maiden name of Mrs. Oliver was Mary Beck ; she was born Sept. 21, 1789, in Maryland, and died Sept. 13, 1852. Jackson Oliver emigrated to Illinois and located upon Sec. 19, Empire Township, McLean Co., in the fall of 1854; here he purchased 213 acres, to which he has since added by purchase until


« AnteriorContinuar »