« AnteriorContinuar »
Capt. Hill, from h. p. 28 F. Capt. Capt. Harvey, from Cape Corps (Inf.) with Lieut.
vice Lynch, 3 Vet. Bt. 3 June. Ross, h. p. 60 F.
20 May. 66 F.
do. 24 F. Lt. Forster, from hip. Rifle Br. Pay Paym. Chitty, from 2 Dr. G. with Capt. Hay, h. p. master, vice Jones, dismissed
10 June. Surg. Shorland, from 31 F. with Surg. Callow, 71
Lt. Pennington, from late 5 Vet. Bn. 96 F.
Jones, from 14 F. with Surg. Daunt, 58 F.
20 May. Assist. Surg. Campbell, from Rifle Brig. with AsQua. Mast. Serj. Agnew, Qua. Mast. sist. Surg. Arinstrong, h.p. vice Herring, ret. on full çay Hosp. Assist. Farmer, with Hosp. Assist. Black
wood, h. p. 76
Lt. Cornwall, from 60 F. Lt. vice
Resignations and Retirements. 90
Capt. Blane, from 10 F. Capt. vice
Lieut. Gen. Stovin, from 17 F.
Maj. Percival, 18 F.
6 Dr. G. vice Morrison, dead
Travers, Rifle Brig.
Lieut. Butler, 62 F. 91
Lt. Hawkins, from 54 F. Lt. vice
Cort. Sir R. Hill, R. Horse Gds.
Ens. Sweetenham, 46 F.
Lieut. Rafter 1 F.
Lieut. Ker, 30 F.
Removed from the Service,
Assist. Surg. Freer, 21 F. 99
Surg. Hibbert, from h. p. York L.
17 do. Rifle Brig. 1st Lt. Felix, Capt. by p. vice Tra
Deaths. vers, ret.
20 May. Gen. J. Murray, of late 96 F. Paris. 20 Lt. Irton, 1st Lt.
Lieut. Gen. Farley, late of 68 F.
Major Gen. Du Plat, h. p. late Germ. Leg. Hanoi Vet. Bn. Capt. Scott, from h. p. 26 F. Capt. ver,
19 March, 24. vice Strangeways, ret. list. 27 do. Lieut. Col. Johnston, h. p. Corsican Ra. 21. 3 Bt. Maj. Lynch, from 63 F. Capt.
Lee, Roy, Mar. Chatham, May. vice Vandeleur, 10 F. 3 June. Capt. Mackay, 48 F. Sydney, New South Wales, Ens. Douglas, from h. p. 2 Gar. Bn.
2 Dec. 23. Eus. vice Borehamn, ret. list do.
L'Estrange, R. Af. Col. Corps, in Africa, from excessive fatigue,
24 March, 1821. Unattached.
Quentin, h. p. 2 Dr. Germ. Leg. Hanover,
Lieut. Bourke, 7 F.
7 June, 1894. 17 do.
Cuthbertson, 48 F. drowned at Macquarrie
Harbour, Van. Dieman's Land, 24 Dec. 1823. Staff
Roy, 69 F. Wallajahbad, Madras,
24 Jan. 1821. Lt. Nun, from 59 F. Staff Adj. vice
Mallet, late Invalids, Plymouth, 1 June. Gourlay, dead 27 May, 1824.
Watt, late 3 Vet. Bn. Jersey,
Ingleby, h. p. 1 Dr. Lancaster,
10 April, 1824
K. Campbell, h. p. 74 F. Inverness,
29 March. Ass. Surg. vice Hosp. Ass. Cham Pyne, h. p. 2 Gar. Bn. Dublin,
22 Jan. bers, 64 F. 20 May, 1824. Noble, h. p. 95. F. Rothsay,
24 April. M'Leod, from h. p. 78 F. Cauchi, h. p. R. Reg. of Malta, France, 15 Jan. do. vice Hosp. Ass. M‘Niece, dead Ordioni, h. p. Corsican Rang. Corsica, 25 do.
25 Sept. 1823. Caldwell, from h. p. 31 F. De Vaux, h. p. Chass. Britan. Nantes, do. vice Lamonde, 60 F. 25 June.
23 Feb. 1824. Hosp. Ass. Morgan, do.
do. Mackenzie, h. p. 1 Lt. Dr. Ger. Legion, drowned J. Young, Hosp. Ass. vice Blair, dead at Hanover,
9 June, 1824. 18 do. Ensign Woodbur, 65 F.
1 Feb. 1824.
Lisle, 13 F. Trincomalee, Ceylon,
26 Nov. 1823.
Cumming, late 3 Vet. Bn. Edinburgh, Lt. Col. Sir T. N. Hill, KCB. from Gren. Gds.
23 May, 1821. with Lt. Col. Ellison, h. p. Unatt.
Macpherson, do. Stromness, Orkney, Cassidy, from 1 W. I. R. with Lt. Col.
2 June. Browne, h. p. 6 W. I. R.
22 Feb. 1822. Major Sweney, from 1 Dr. G. rec. dift. with Major Bornemann, h. p. 8 Line Germ. Leg. Frankfort, Delancy, h. p. 2 Ceylon Regt.
15 April, 1824. Nicolls, from 96 F. with Major White, h.p Adjutant Perry, h. p. 21. Dr.
29 May. 24 F.
Quar.- Mast. Paul, 87 F. on board the Abberton Bt. Lt. Col. Sir T. Reade, from 27 F. with Capt. Indiainan,
14 Feb. 1824. Franklyn, h. p. 24 F.
Holmes, late of Coldst. Gds. HolloCapt. Paterson, from 8 Dr. with Capt. Knight, way,
18 April. 63 F.
Colernan, h. p. 4 Dr. Gds. Carlow, Dashwood, from Gren. Gds. with Capt. Ireland,
5 do. Douglas, h. p. Unatt.
Hill, h. p. Depots,
23 Feb. Lieut. Deacon, from 16 F. with Lieut. Murray, Ceylon Regt.
Power, h. p. Bere Island,
Surg. Dr. Wharrie, Ceylon,
8 Jan. Giffard, from 92 F. rec. dift. with Lieut.
Hoatson, Ceylon Regt. Ceylon, Forbes, h. p. 18 F.
7 Nov, 1823.
p. 10 F.
Staff Surg. Dr Menzies, h. p. 21 Dr. India,
tees on 21st January, 1824, in the West
25 Dec. - Meyer, h. p. For. Vet. Bn. France,
Wassar Country, Cape Coast Castle,
5 Nos. West Coast of Africa. Apoth. Fox, h. p.
do. Hosp. Assist. Picton, Africa,
Brig. Gen. Sir Charles M.Carthy, wounded, ta-
Captain Ricketts, 2 W. I. R. Maj. of Brig.
Ensign Erskine, R. African Colonial Corps.
4 June 1824.
killed. Killed, Wounded, and Missing of the Re.
Ensign Wctherell, 2 W. I. R. gular Forec in Action with the Ashan. Dr Beresford Tedlie, Surg. of 2 W. I. R.
BIRTHS, MARRIAGES, AND DEATHS.
June 2, At Queen Street, the lady of E. W. H. Schenley, Esq. of a daughter.
5. At Portobello, the Countess of Kintore, of a daughter.
- At Grandholm Cottage, the lady of Lieut.Colonel Lindsay, 78th Highlanders, of a daughter.
7. At Edinburgh, the lady of John Hay, Esq. of the East India Company's service, of a daughter,
- At Craigie Manse, Mrs Dr Stirling, of a daughter.
9. At Links Place, Leith, Mrs Donaldson, of a son.
10. The lady of Warren Hastings Sands, Esq. writer to the signet, of a son.
- Mrs Jolly, 20, Windsor Street, of a daughter.
11. At Grecnhead, Glasgow, the lady of Captain T. D. Stewart of the Bengal Cavalry, of a son.
12. At Edinburgh, Mrs Johnstone, Albany Street, of a son.
13. At Park House, Kent, the lady of Sir Henry R. Calder, Bart. of a son.
15. In Lower Mount Street, Dublin, the Hon. Mrs James Caulfield, royal navy, of a son.
16. Mrs Borthwick, 83, George Street, of a son. 17. At Edinburgh, Mrs Snells, of a da' ghter.
19. At Rafford Manse, Mrs Mackay, of a daughter.
20. At North Berwick, Mrs Hawthorn, of a son.
- In Hill Street, Mrs William Colin Clarke, of a daughter.
- At Park Place, Edinburgh, Mrs Grant of Congalton, of a son and heir.
- Mrs Richard Mackenzie, Abercromby Place, of a daughter.
22. Mrs Cook, Northumberland Street, of a son.
23. In Charlotte Square, the Hon. Mrs Duncan, of a son.
At Edinburgh, Mrs Stewart, of Glenoriniston, of a son.
24. At his house, at the Admiralty, the lady of Sir George Clerk, Bart. M.P. of a son.
25. At Findrassie House, Mrs Leslie, of Findrassie, of a son.
26. At Dundee, Mrs Mylne, of Mylnefield, of a daughter.
27. At Portobello, the lady of Donald Charles Cameron, Esq. of a son.
28. At Logie, the lady of the Hon. Donald Ogilvy, of Clova, of a son. - Mrs Dr Christie, 13, Calton Street, of a son.
30. In Northumberland Street, the lady of George Brodie, Esq. advocate, of a son.
- Mis Lang of Broomhill, of a son.
Lately, At the Upper Lodge, Bushy Park, the lady of Colonel Fitzclarence, of a son.
Dec. 22. At Nusseerabad, William Seton Char. ters, Esq. M.D. of the Bengal Medical Establishment, to Louisa Scott, youngest daughter of the late George Smith, Esq. of Canton.
March 29, 1821, At the Cape of Good Hope, Major Thomas Welster, of Balgarvie, in the ser vice of the Hon. East India Company, to Agnes, daughter of the late John Ross, Esq. Meadow Place, Edinburgh.
May 31. Philip Anglin, Esq. M. D. of the island of Jamaica, to Catharine Margaret, eldest daughter of the late Col. John Robertson.
23. In the Isle of Wight, John George Campbell, Esq. lieutenant in the 32d regiment of foot, and youngest son of the late Colonel John Camp. bell of Shawfield, to Ellen, fourth daughter of Sir Fitzwilliam Barrington, Bart. of Swainston, in the Isle of Wight.
25. At Banff, George Craigie, Esq. M. D. of the Bengal medical service, to Jane, only daughter of John Wilson, Esq.
June 1. At Burntsfield Place, William Bowden, Esq. of Hull, to Margaret Sawers, eldest daughter of Archibald Anderson, Esq.
- At Edinburgh, Dr James Kellie, physician in Dunbar, to Mary, second daughter of the late Mr George Wauchope.
- At Libberton Place, Mr Thomas Torrance, farmer, Meadow Head, to Margaret, daughter of Mr Bagrie, farmer, Miller Hill.
At Craighead, James Chrystal, Esq. jun. writer in Stirling, to Patricia Bennet, daughter of Robert Banks, Esq. of Craighead.
- At Drumpellier, Lieutenant John Hay, R.N. to Marion, eldest daughter of David Carrick Buchannan, Esq. of Drumpellier.
2. In Gaytield Square, David Arthur Davies, Esq. surgeon, Llanally, to Spencer Boyd, eldest daughter of Andrew Sievwright, Esq. merchant, Edinburgh.
1. At Edinburgh, Mr John Waddell, Shoemaker, to Elizabeth, second daughter of Mr Lauchlan Wilkie, flesher, Musselburgh.
7. At Tunbridge Wells, William Thomas Thornton, Esq. to Hannah Isabella Cornelia, eldest daughter of the late Colonel Halket Craigie, of Hallhill in the county of Fife.
8. At No. 10), Dublin Street, Mr Alexander Huie, to Eliza Gordon, second daughter of John Edgar, Esq. surgeon, Berwick-upon-1'weed.
- At Haddington, Mi John Richardson, writer, to Margaret, second daughter of the late Mr Hay Walker, Haddington.
At Perth, Mr Henry Russell, merchant, Duntermline, to Margaret, fourth daughter of the late Mr George Gray.
- At Glasgow, Mr John Honeyman, merchant, Glasgow, to Isabella, eldest daughter of the late Mr Patrick Smith.
9. At Windsor Street, Leith Walk, Mr John Connell, merchant, to Miss Elizabeth Johnson.
11. At Warriston Crescent, David Candan, Esq. surgeon, to Mary Stewart, eldest daughter of John Reid, Esq.
12. At Edinburgh, A. T. Smith, Esq. surgeon,
MARRIAGES. Nov. 12, 1873. At Masulipatam, Captain Kyd, of the Madras European regiment, to Mary Anne, daughter of George Rose, Esq. of Crookham, Newbury.
Kirkaldy to Mary Anne, daughter of James Burn, Hill, Bart. in the 84th year of his age. Sir John Esq. manufacturer, Edinburgh.
is succeeded in the baronetcy and in his exten15. At Pilrig Street, Robert Blackie, Esq. to sive estates by his grandson, Rowland, one of the Eliza, daughter of the late Burridge Purvis, Esq. representatives in Parliament for the county of of Glassmount.
Salop. - At Summerfield, Leith, Mr William Nelson, 28. At Bourdeaux, Charlotte, youngest daughmerchant, Leith, to Jane, second daughter of Mr ter of Alexander Maclean, Esq. of Ardgour. James Tait, merchant there.
29. At Hastings, in Sussex, Robert Alexander - At Liverpool, William Blair M‘Kean, Esq. Paterson Wallace, Esq. only son of the deceased merchant, Leith, to Marianne, daughter of Joha Major Robert Wallace of the 17th foot, and grandM'Culloch, Esq. M.D. Liverpool.
son of the late Alexander Wallace, Esq. banker in 16. At Craighead, Archibald Smith, merchant, Edinburgh. Glasgow, to Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas M. 30. At Kirkaldy, Mr Douglas Morison, merCall, Esq. of Craighead.
chant. 18. Mi Robert Dempster, aruggist, to Janet, - At Torquay, Devonshire, Miss Euphernia youngest dagghter of Mr William Stark, builder. Ballantine, daughter of the late Patrick Ballan
- At Leith, Mr Alexander S. Bisset, to Frances, tine, Esq. of Orchard. eldest daughter of Mr A. Thom, Brechin.
30. At Square Point of Crossmichael, William - At St George's, Hanover Square, London, Rae, Esq. late of Dunjarg. Samuel Whitbread, Esq. M. P. to Julia, daughter 31. At Bath, the lady of Sir George Abercromby of Major General the Hon. Henry Brand.
Robinson, Bart. 19. At St George's Church, Hanover Square, June 1. At Musselburgh Mrs Charles Stewart, London, Captain Fox, son of Lord Holland, to jun. Miss Mary Fitzelarence. The arriable bride was - At St Andrews, David Meldrum, Esq. of given away by his Royal Highness the Duke of Dron. York and Sir Charles Poole.
- At his house in Queen Street, Edinburgh, 21. At Edinburgh, Munro Ross, Esq. of Ross Alexander Wylie, Doctor of Medicine. hill, to Grace, youngest daughter of the late John 2. At Edinburgh, Samuel Watsou, Esq. solici. Cumming, Esq.
tor-at-law. - At Park Place, Edinburgh, the Right Hon. - At Fintry, Stirlingshire, Janet Waters, aged the Earl of Leven and Melville, to Elizabeth Anne 100. She had 13 c ildren, 53 grand-children, and Campbell, second daughter of the Hon. Lord 40 great-grand-children; total 1' 6. Succoth.
- At Dysart, Mrs Grace Reddie, relict of Lieu22. At Glasgow, Thomas Campbell, Esq. to tenant James Black, Royal Navy. Agnes, second daughter of Kirkman Finlay, Esq. 3. At Heatherwick-house, Margaret Milnes, of Castle Toward.
youngest daughter of the late James Milnes, Esq. - At Cliftonhall Mains, Mr George Lindsay, At Fyvie, the Hon. Mrs Gordon, relict of Gemerchant, Edinburgh, to Agnes, daughter of the neral the Hon. William Gordon of Fyvie. late Mr Wm. Thomson, farmer.
--- At London, Miss Crachami, the celebrated 24. At Dairsie, Dr James Spence, physician, Sicilian dwarf, (only 19 inches high,) after a short Cupar, to Robina, daughter of the late Rev. Ro illness, produced by the late changes in the weabert Coutts, one of the ininisters of Brechin. ther. She was a most interesting child.
28. At Edinburgh, the Rev. Andrew Kennedy, 2. At Edinburgh, Daniel Ramsay of Falla, aged of Keith, to Miss Mary Mutter.
64. 23. At Maybole Castle, James Dow, Esq. of 4. At Dalzell house, William, infant son of A. Montrose, to Mary, youngest daughter of the late J. Hamilton, Esq. of Dalzell. William Douglas, Esq. merchant, Leith.
At Edinburgh, Mrs Helen Murray, spouse Lately, At St George's Hanover Square, Lon of Mr James Callender, Parliament Stairs. don, the Hon. Captain W. L. Fitzgerald de Roos, - At Edinburgh, Francis, son of Mr John of the 1st regiment of Life Guards, to Lady Geor Howden, jeweller. giana Lennox, daughter of the Duke of Rich. - At Edinburgh, Mrs Abercrombie, widow of inond.
the Rev. George Abercrombie, one of the ministers of Aberdeen.
5. At Bogton, Cathcart, Miss Pagan of Bogton. DEATHS.
- At Lauder, Alex. Dawson, Esq. Chief MaOct. 23, 1823. At Bencoolen, James Patrick gistrate of the burgh. Drummond, eldest son of the late James Drum 6. At Edinburgh, Mrs Jean Johnston, wise of mond, Esq. of Comrie, Perthshire.
William Johnston, Esq. cf Lathrisk. Jan. 2, 1824, At Madras, John Fraser Lane, 7. At View Forth, John Henry Thin, son of Esq. Collector of Masulipatam, Hon. East India Mr Thin, architect. Company's service.
At his house, York Place, John Blackwell, 8. At Ceylon, Dr Thomas J. Wharrie.
Esq. Advocate. 12. At Madras, J. Waddell, Esq.
8. At Malvern, Lieut.-Colonel Hugh Hous19. At Batavia, Henry Band, son of the late Mr toun. Henry Band, merchant, Leith.
9. Suddenly, at his house, in Drury Lane, Mr 21. At Montreal, suddenly, of asphyxia, the Oxberry, the comedian, Rev. T. Hill.
- At Kirkwall, in Orkney, the Rev. Robert March 25. At St Andrews, Jamaica, at Islington Yule, Minister of the Gospel there. Pen, at an advanced age, the Hon. James Stewart, - In South Audley Street, London, Thomas custos, and late one of the representatives in the Chevalier, Esq. Surgeon Extraordinary to the Hom. House of Assembly for that parish.
King, and Professor of Anatomy and Surgery to April 23. In Virginia, Dr James Murray Brown. the Royal College of Surgeons in London.
May 19. At Bervie, Dr Robert Napier, deeply 10. At Rankeillour House, Mrs Mary Maitland, regretted.
widow of Charles Maitland, Esq. younger of Ran22. At Leith, Mr Alexander Paterson, iron keillour. monger (late of Stirling ;) and on the 8th June, 11. Mrs Mary Gordon Porteous, wife of Mr Alexander, his second son, in his 14th year.
Alex. Callender, surgeon. - At Bedford Place, Alloa, Captain Robert - At Stirling, the Rev. Archibald Bruce, one Henderson.
of the ministers of that parish. - At Florence, William Crosbie, Esq. his Ma - At Edinburgh, Thomas Fergusson, Esq. of jesty's Secretary of Legation at the Court of Tus Baledmund. cany.
13. At his house, Blythswood Place, Glasgow, 25. At Ditton Common, Surrey, David Stewart, William Montieth, Esq. Esq. shipowner, St Andrews, Fifeshire.
- At Canonmills, Margaret, only surviving 26. At Montcallier, near Turin, Capel Loft, Esq. daughter of Mr Alexander Ritchie. an author of great celebrity.
14. At Thurso, Mrs Pringle, wife of Mr Robert 28. At Banir, Mrs Gordon, widow of the Rev. Pringle, Collector of Excise. Abercromby Gordon, minister of Banff.
- At Waukmills of Letham, on the 14th in. - At London, John Locke, M. D. late of Glas stant, Mr Patrick Stirling, aged 82 years. gow.
15. At Stirling, on the 15th ult. Miry Gleig, wife 28. At his scat, Hawkstone, Salop, Sir John of the Right Rev. Bishop Gleig.
16. At No 2, Ariston Place, Major Colin Camp Commanding Officer to report him for an officer's bell, of Strachur.
commission; for he was one of a party of thirty, At St John's Hill, Robert Home, youngest who, on that occasion, volunteered to storm a son of Mr Robert Armstrong, jun. brass-founder. battery, and the only one of the party who sur.
At Weymouth, George Mellis, Esq. of Perth. vived (but not unwounded) the capture of it. shire.
- At Colinton Manse, James, son of the Rev. At Paisley, in the 77th year of his age, John Lewis Balfour, minister of Colinton. Orr, Esq. formerly Provost of the burgh.
21. At Scotstown, Alexander Moir, of Scots. After a few days illness, at his residence in town, Esq. Lower Grosvenor Street, London, the Right Hon. 22. At Edinburgh, Mrs Christian Henderson Lord Henry Thomas Howard Molyneux Howard, Grandison, widow of the Rev. Joseph Johnston, Deputy Earl-Marshal of Engiand, and brother to minister of Innerleithen, Peebles-shire. his Grace the Duke of Norfolk. His Lordship re 23. At Warriston House, Miss Mary Brown, presented the city of Gloucester in several Parlia eldest daughter of the late Captain Robert Brown, ments, and sat in the present Parliament for Leith. Steyning.
25. At his house, Charlotte Street, Leith, Mr - In Parliament Street, Dublin, Walter Thom, Peter Scott. Esq. of Aberdeen, formerly Editor of the Corre - At Currie, Mr Thomas Hamilton, sen., late spondent, and, for the last few years, joint Pro builder in Edinburgh. prietor and Editor of the Dublin Journal.
26. At Ruchill, Miss Dreghorn, daughter of
William Boyd, W. S.
85. He had served his Majesty sixty years in dif20. At Bath, the Hon. Alexina Duncan, the ferent parts of the world, and was twelve years a eldest daughter of Viscount Duncan.
prisoner in France, under Napoleon's government, At Edinburgh, Lieut. John Fraser, formerly His eldest son, Major-General Murray, was late of the 71st, thereafter of the 87th regiment of foot. Governor of Demerara. He entered the 71st regiment at the youthful age - At No. 1, Salisbury Road, Erskine, R. C. of sixteen. He passed with approbation through youngest son of John Gordon, Esq. the grades from private to officer in the short - At Plymouth, Rear-Admiral William Cumspace of eight years. His signal bravery at the ming, C. B. taking of the Cape of Good Hope induced the
Printed by James Ballantyne and Co. Edinburgh.
On the Last Westminster Review,
129 136 140 158 161 ib. 162 179 183 189
194 202 215
222 227 230 231
WILLIAM BLACKWOOD, NO. 17, PRINCE'S STREET, EDINBURGH ;
AND T. CADELL, STRAND, LONDON ;
To whom Communications (post paid) may be addressed.
TRINTED BY JAMES BALLANTYNE & co. EDINBURGA.