« AnteriorContinuar »
LIST OF AUTHORITIES
bibliography and list of the texts of the federal and state the organic laws of the territories and colonial dependencies haustive; only those sources which are supposed to contain
authorized text of the several constitutions and organic laws Hudition to the specific authorities cited below, liberal and conseen inade of the Convention Journals, Debates and Proceedings Uludal ('onventions of the several states, and the text of the found therein; the reprints of the constitutions published in the
by authority of the secretary of state; the text of the constitu1 tbe (odle of Laws or Revised Statutes of each state; the State je Books and other similar publications; the standard histories of states; and verified copies of proposed constitutional amendments, y the secretary of state, and designed for distribution among the 11 some states the secretary of state is required by law to publish the a in full with the session laws of each legislature, and the verified he constitutional amendments proposed and adopted are invariably the session laws prior or subsequent to their ratification. Beginning
year 1910, an excellent summary of the substance of tbe proposed ents subinitted to the elector's in each of the states, with the resulting ereon, may be found in The American Year Book. Of the standard ations of the federal and state constitutions and other similar docu
the following are of greatest value: oore, Ben Perley. The Federal and State Constitutions, Colonia Charand Other, Organie: Laws of the United States. Parts I and II, Washing. Government Printing Office, 1877. Thorpe, Francis Newton, The Federal and State ('oustitutions, Colonial irters, and Other Organic Laws of the States, Territories, and Colonies w or Heretofore Forming the l'nited States of America. Ū Volumes. Washston, Government Printing Office, 1909.
1. United States—The Constitution of the United States of America iis mended to lay 1. 19913. Washington, Government Printing Office, 1913. Doemeut So, 12, 63. Congress, first session.
2. Alabama--Constitution of the State of Alabama. Brown Printing Co., State Printers and Binders, Montgomery, Alabama, 1915. Code of Alabamat, 1907. Alabama Otlicial and Statistical Register, compilerl by Thomas M. Owen, Director of the Department of Archives and History.
3. Arizon il--l'amphlet containing the text of the proposed Constitution of Arizona as submitted to Congress, Revised Statutes, 1913. Pamphlets containing all referred measures to be voted on in 1912, 1911 and 1916, compiler by Sidney P. Osbom, Secretary of State.
4. Arkansas--c'onstitutiou of the State of Arkansas, with Jmendments, issued by Earle W. Hodges, Secretary of State, 1911. Digest of the Statutes of Arkansas, Williaun F. Kirby: 1904. Supplement to Kirby's Digest. 1911.
5. California--('onstitution of the State of California and Summary of Amendments, prepared by the legislative Counsel 'Bureau, 1915, Pamphlet containing the proposed amendments to the constitution of ('alifornia to be submitted at the election of November 7, 1916, certified by the Secretary of State.
6. Colorindo -.Wotateil Statutes of 1891 and 1912.
§ Delaware--Constitution of the State of Delaware with Amendments, published by the Secretary of State. 1913. Revised Statutes, 1910).
!). Florida ---General Statutes, 1996.
10. Georgia—('onstitution of the State of Georgia of force January 1, 1917. Print of in Officially certified copy compiled by Ella May Thornton. Code of Georgia, 1911.
11. Idaho--('onstitution of the State of Idaho, compiled by lieurge R. Barker, Secretary of State, 1913.
12. Illinois-Constitution of the State of Illinois; annotations by Prof. (. W. Tooke. 1911. Published by Harry Woods, Secretary of State.
13. Indiana-('onstitution-making in Indiana, bir Charles Kettleborongti. 1916.
14. Iowa---lowa Official Register, 1915-1916. Compiled under the sujef. vision of William S. Allen, Secretary of State, by Henry (. Baumgartner.
15. Kansas-('onstitution of the State of Kansas, issued by J. T. Butkin, Secretary of State. with Annotations compiled by R. E. Meintosh. 1916. eral Statutes, 1903).
16. Kentucky-Kentucky Directory. 1916, compiled by Frank K. KavaNaugh. Kentucky Statutes, 1909 and 1.1.5.
17. Louisiana--('onstitution of the State of Louisiana, by luthority. 1:13. Amendments to the (constitution of the State of Louisianal adopted by the electors of the State of Louisiana at the Congressional Elections held in 1914 ind 1916.
18. Maine-Constitution of the State of Maine, 1W2. by L. D. Carver. Amendments to the Constitution of the State of Maine, idopterl since 19P2Selltinel Publishing ('0., 191:3. Revised Statutes of Maine, 1903.
19. Maryland-('onstitution of the State of Maryland, published by the Executive Department. 1913. Annotated Code of Maryland. 1911.
20. Massachusetts-A Manual for the Constitutional Convention, 1917. Subimtted to the Constitutional Convention by the ('ommission to Compile Submitted to the Constitutional Convention by the Commission to Compile
21. Michigan · Constitution of the State of Michigan, compiled and patr lished imder the supervision of Frederick ('. Martindale. Secretary of State. 1913. Ilowell's Michig:11 Statutes, 1913. Michigan Manual, compileri dış Frederick ('. Martindale, Secretary of State, 1909.
22. Minnesotal---Constitution and Organic lot of the State of Minnesotii, compiled by Julius A. Schmahl, Secretary of State. 1915. General Statutes of Minnesota, 1806. Session Laws of 1873. Statutes at Large. 1873. Revisal Statutes, 1878. General Statutes, 1913.
23. Mississippi--The Mississippi Code of 19906.
24. Missouri-('onstitution of the State of Missouri, published by Cornelius Roach, Secretary of State, 1909. Annotated Statutes, 1%). Revi Statutes, 1899. Revised Statutes, 1909, Official Manual of the State of Vis. souri, compiled by Cornelius Roach, Secretary of State, 1913-1914, Jaws 1511 pages 313-327, where, in pursuance of im lct approved March 10, 1905. "all Amendments to the constitution
which have been adopted since tlie year 1898 and which :tre not contained in the Revised Statutes of 1993." ale set out in full.
2.5. Montana-Constitution of the State of Montana, loy State Publishing ('0., Helena, Montana (1917). Revised ('odes, 19907, and Supplement, 1915.
26. Nebraska-Constitution of the State of Nebraska, with Amendments to Date, compiled by Charles W. Pool. Secretary of State. 1915. Cobber's Annotated Statutes, 1911. Yebraska Blue Book, 1915.
27. Nevada---Constitutions of the United States of America and of the State of Nevada. 1915, State Printing Office, Joe Farnsworth, Superintendent. Revised Laws of Nevada, 1912. Session Law's of 1875) give the text of the original constitution).
28. New Hampshire-Constitution of the State of New Hampshire. by John B. Clarke Co., 1912. Manual of the ('onstitutions of New Ilamishin, compiled from Official Sources and edited * * * by James Fairbanks (olbr. 1: l'ublic Statutes and Session Laws of New Hampshire, Supplement, 1901-1913.
29. New Jersey-('onstitution of the State of New Jersey, Dispatch Printing ('ompany, Union Hill. N. J., 1916. compiled Statutes of New Jersey, 1710 1910.
:30. New Mexico-('onstitution of New Mexica, Doc. No. 83.7, 61st (n. 31 Session. New Mexico Statutes. Annotated. 1915.
31. Veir and in force State Constitut Dission, 191.5.
32. North from the office of North Care Jr., 1911. The the original
33. North Amendments. Laws, 1913
34. OhioGraves, Secret mnents. Publis Supplement to Statutes, 19905
35. Okla session, Senat piled by Benį
36. Ores Olcott, Secret
37. Pen published by Iland Book L
:38. Rho lence Plantat of Rhode Isla ker, Secretari
39. Soul R. L. Bry:lll (odle ('omni
10. thie Session Gates. Con
11. Te Authority.
13. of State, 1:
1. Ve Secretary of
15. Vir of 104.
10. WE and Balling I. M. Ilowe
17. We Official Rp Senate. 1:13. West
18. Revised St Statutes of
19. thority of ments idol
31. Vei York ---The Constitution of the State of New York, ils amendeel und in force January 1, 1917, Albany. J. B. Lyon Co., Printers. New York State Constitution, Annotated, New York State ('onstitutional Convention Comimission, 1915.
32. North Carolina—('onstitution of the State of North Carolina, issuell from the office of the Secretary of State. 1914. The ('onstitution of the State of North Carolina. Annotated. by Henry G. Copior and Joseph B. Cheshire. Jr., 1911. The Jets of the Geueral Assembly of 1876-1877 contain the text of the original constitution; the Acts of 1917 contain the latest revision,
33. North Dakota ---State ('onstitution of the State of North Dakota, with Imendments. Prepared by Thom:s Hall, Secretary of State, 1914. Compiled Lil WS, 1913.
34. Ohio—The Constitution of the Stite of Ohio. Published by ('harles H. Graves, Secretary of State, 1913. Organic Law of Ohio iind Proposed Imendmvents. Published by Authority of the Board of Library Commissioners, 1913. Supplement to Page and Adams' Ohio General Coule, 1916, Volume 1.. Revised Statutes, 1905.
35. Oklahom il-Constitution of the State of Oklahoma, 00th ('ong., first session, Senate Doc. No. 187. Compiled Laws, 1909. Oklahoma Red Book. (ompiled by Benjamin F. Harrison, Secretary of State. 1912.
36. Oregon--Constitution of the State of Oregon, compiled by Ben W. Olcott, Secretary of State, 191.7. Lonl's Oregon Laws, 1910.
37. Pennsylvania---Constitution of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, published by the Secretary of the Commonwealth, 190:). Smull's Legislative Hamd Book and Manual of the State of Pennsylvania, 1:1:,
38. Rhode Island-('onstitution of the State of Rhode Island and Provivence Plantations, E. 1.. Freeman and Sons, State Printers, 1904. General Laws of Rhode Island, 1909. Rhode Island Manual, 1916, compiled by J. Fred Parker, Secretary of State.
39. South Carolina-Constitution of the State of South Carolina, by The R. L. Bryal Co., 1990). ('ode of Law of South Carolina, Andrew J. Betliea, Code Commissioner, 1912.
10. South Dakota-motitted (onstitution of South Dakotat, l'rinted with the Session Laws of 1917, Annotations and Eclitorisu Mattor by John Howard Lates. Compiled Laws of South Dakotit, 1913.
#1. Temessee ('onstitution of the State of Tennessee. Publishell by uthority, 1917.
+2. Tex:s-- Vernon's Silyles' Texas Civil Statutes, Annotated. 19914.
13. l'tala--('onstitution of the State of l’tali, Published by the Secretary State, 1913. ('ompiled Liws of Utah, 1987.
11. Vermont-The ('onstitution of the State of Vermont, Published by the retary of State, 1913. 15. Virginia--('onstitution of Virginia, Published by Authority, 1913. Code 14.
Washington--- Amotiteal Codes ilud Statutes of Washington, Remington Ballinger, 1910. Constitution of the State of Washington, Published by Ilowell, Secretary of State. 191..
Il'est l'irginia -- West Virginia Legislative land Book :und Manual ind | Register. 1916, compilal and edited by Jolm T. Harris, Clerk of the
West Virginia Code of 1913, Charles E. Hogy. West Virginia ('ode of I'est l'irs liit ('ocle of 1891, John od. Wurthi. Wiscousin-Wisconsin Blue Book of 1911. Wisconsin Annotateal mud Statutes of 1STI, 1STS. 1889 and 191:3. Supplement to the Revised of 1878. Published in 1883. Nyoming--Constitution of the State of Wyoming. Published by A11
William R. Solmitger, Secretary of State. 1908, containing all mendpted up to the including 1916. (ode. erritories and Insular Possessions I'nited States Statutes it Large.
1 Public Debt, Revenue and Taxation 7
1 State and School Lands__
7 Corporations other than Municipal. ii
7 The Corporation Commission
Mode of Amending-
Schedule and Miscellaneous_
23 Seat of Government-
Declaration of Rights_
Franchises and Elections.
39 Executive Department
10 Judicial Department
13 Igriculture, Mining and Manufae
16 Municipal and Private Corporations 10
19 Counties, County Seats and County
51 Finance and Taxation
52 Railroads, Canals and Turnpikes - 1
Non-Payable State Bonds.
Vacancies in Office_
County Road Tax.-
62 Declaration of Rights
Right of Suffrage__-
68 Distribution of Powers_
69 Legislative Department
Amendments to the ('onstitution 21.-2.32