Imágenes de páginas
[ocr errors][merged small][ocr errors][merged small][merged small]

Expenditures for 1902.
Printing Publications, 6 Nos., vouchers 1-6, ...
Secretary's allowance, voucher 24,
Postage, vouchers 7, 8, 14, 15, 17, 18, 27,
Freight and expressage, voucher 29,
Office printing, vouchers 10, 13, 16, 21, 25, 26, ..
General expenses, voucher 28, .
Purchase of back volumes, vouchers 11, 12, 22,
Rebate of fee, voucher 19,
Miscellaneous, voucher 30,

$536 80 100 00 56 14 15 15 14 75 13 54 IO 22 3 00

I 66


$751 26 Surplus, certified check, voucher 31, plus cash,.. $490 16

I have examined the foregoing account as Auditing Committee and find it to be correct.


Auditing Committee. January 8, 1903.


By John REDD.

(Continued.) About the first of April Col. Richard Henderson, with something like forty men who were on their way to Kentucky to make the first permanent settlement; they stopped at the fort 6 or 8 days to supply themselves with meat, as for bread we had none for ourselves :-as soon as they were supplied themselves, they set out on their journey. During the year we were not uninterrupted by the Indians, during the fall Wm. Priest with 8 or 10 men came out and built a fort a few miles above Martins. About the same time Wm. Mumps with a small party of men came out and built a fort at the Sinking Springs, 20 miles from Martins where Lee court house now is; at the forts the Settlers cut down and killed the timber on a good deal of Land, and in the Spring they were surrounded by fences made of brush and rails and planted in corn: during the past fall several small parties passed on their way to Kentucky-many of whom were murdered by the Indians, this produced a very great excitement with the Settlers in the Valley. In May 1776, Genl. Martin returned home, promising to return in four weeks,—the four weeks expired and we had heard nothing from Genl. Martin: the Settlers at Priest and Mumps fort had all left and some of our own men. Days rolled on and we could hear nothing from Martin nor the Settlement we became alarmed at our situation, we knew that something of great moment had taken place or Martin would either returned or send a messenger out to let us know why he did not come at the appointed time. As our number had decreased to about 10 and we could hear nothing from Martin, we held a counsel and determined to remain 3 days longer and if we could hear nothing from the Settlement in that time to start for home. The day we held our Council Wm. Parks one of our numSee Appendix II.

ber insisted upon our going some 8 miles below the fort and put up a few poles in the shape of a house, kill some trees, dig some holes in the ground and plant his corn so as to Secure a corn sight and return the third morning time enough to start with us if we Should [leave) for the Settlement. We very reluctantly gave our consent on the same evening Parks, his nephew Thomas, and his negro man set out to secure his corn right the 3 morning after Parks left the day he promised to return to our great surprise young Parks came and informed us that his uncle had left the evening before to kill some meat, shortly after his leaving he heard him shoot and had heard nothing from him since. I and 2 others set out with young Parks and on arriving at his cabin he showed us the way his uncle went. We found his tracks and followed it with great care, after going about one mile we came to where some Indians had been Lying among some lime stone rocks on the Kentucky trace about fifty yards from where the Indians had been we saw old Parks lying dead on his face on examining him we found he was shot through the heart. From his tracks he must have gone some thirty yards from where he was shot.

He was scalped and a war club left sunk in his brain we skined some tough bark with it, lashed the body of old Parkes to a poll and two of us with and end of the pole on our Shoulders carried him to his cabin and buried him. The same evening returned to the fort, and among these we found an express sent out by Genl. Martin informing us that the Indians had declared war and were doing a great deal of mischief, the morning after the arrival of the express we broke up and came to Blackymore fort on clinch river at this fort we found the greater part of the men who had left Mumps and Priest forts, we soon raised a company of some 20 men returned and thin'd our corn; after this I came home on arriving at home I found that Martin had been appointed Captain, and was raising his men, the company was soon raised, officers appointed and I received the appointment of orderly. Sgt. The company was ordered to start immediately to Eaton's fort near the long Island of Holston and formed a Junction with Colo. W. Christian who had command of an army of 2,000 men a few days before we arrived at the fort Colo. Christian ascertained through his spies that a large body of Indians had crossed the river and was coming towards the fort. All of the men that could be spared were immediately put under the command of Colo. Wm. Cocke and ordered out to meet the Indians. About one and one-half miles from the river Colo. Cocke with 400 men met the enemy, who greatly out numbering the whites, were sure of an easy victory. There first onset was accompanied with hooping and yelling. Colo. Cocke not being acquainted with the Indian mode fighting thought that their yelling was a Signal of victory, believing the day to be lost he became completely panic strick and put out at the top of his speed for the fort. On arriving there he reported that his men were completely cut in pieces. About one hour after the gallant Colo. arrived at the fort news reached him that his men had driven back into the forest, without the loss of a Single man and the Indians left fourteen of their dead lying on the field.”

A few days after Capt. Martin's company arrived at the fort: Christian's command had increased to about one thousand men. He ordered the army to march down to the Holston river and build a fort on the bank opposite to the long Island, on going down we passed by the late battle ground of the whites and Indians, the Indians that had been killed were all lying as they fell—with the exceptions of some who had their legs and arms torn by the wolves.

On arriving at the Holston we immediately set to work building a fort a few days after we commenced the fort Intelligence was received that the Indians had murdered several persons, some 5 or 6 miles below on the river; as soon as

Cocke's conduct is, I believe, correctly stated—but this battle happened sometime before Col. Christian reached Eaton's Fort-nor were there many of Cocke's party as Maj. Redd seems to think. See Haywoods Hist. of Tenne.-official account and his statement-I.. C. D.

this news reached us Capt. Martin with 30 of his men volunteered to go in pursuit of the Indians, and soon arrived at the place where the murder had been committed; from the one that made his escape we learned that one of the men that was murdered had some time before made a small Settlement but he became alarmed on account of the Indians and fled to Eatons fort and remained there until Col. Christian commenced building his fort on the Holston thinking he could now return with Safety, he with his two Sons, Brother and another man came back and these four were murdered by the Indians.

Capt. Martin found three of their bodies lying in front of the cabin and their scalps taken off, the fourth we tracked some fifty yards to where he jumped into the river, and in a short time found his body lodged on some driftwood a short distance below. Capt. Martin soon became satisfied from the tracks of the Indians that there must have been a large party of them. I was sent back by Capt. Martin to inform Colonel Christian of all the circumstances we had gathered of the murder. As soon as Colo. Christian received the intelligence sent by Martin, he ordered 30 more men to be raised and with provisions enough to last several days, the same evening set out and joined Martin's command.

The next morning at sunrise Capt. Martin set out and the same day followed the Indians 30 miles, and came to where they camped the night before; the second day they marched 30 miles and found that the Indians were still one day ahead of them; the third day we followed them to the Tennessee river, and there we were about 20 miles from the Indian Towns. Capt. Martin finding that we could not gain on them returned to Christians fort. Shortly after we returned, the fort was completed and supplied with provisions and men. Shortly after Colo. C. completed his fort he set out with something like 2,000 men to attack the Indians in their own Towns. In this expedition Capt. Martin accompanied him. Col. C. Set out about the last of Oct. 76, he heard that the Indians had about 3,000 men encamped on hunting Creek, 15 miles beyond french broad river.

« AnteriorContinuar »