Imágenes de páginas
[blocks in formation]

(Another diary of a journey made by Mr. Wills southward in 1840 is in the possession of the Association, and it is hoped to publish it as soon as possible.]





In the Company of Capt. Martin there was a man by the name of Andrew King this man had not more than half sense and was a notorious coward he was the laughing stock of the whole company he was one of the guard that evening around the horses while they were feeding on cane. King had manifested much fear during our march and particularly while crossing the river, that two of his companions Burns and Borker determined to have a little sport with him that evening. Burns & Borker went where King was minding his horses and informed him that one of his horses had gotten away, and if he did not find it he would be severely punished, they both went with King after the horse and every now and then they pretended to see the tracks of a horseuntil they had gotten about one mile and a half from the camp one of Kings companions fired off his gun the other fired the one who fired his gun hallowed out Indians! Indians! Indians! the one who first fired in a moment fired off his gun and the first who fired off gun fell whereupon King turned and ran to the camp when he reached the camp he was almost out of his wits he jumped up and hollowed out Indians Indians he continued running from tent to tent saying the woods are full of Indians. I have seen two meen fall the drums were beet, and the army soon called out. Col. Christian had King brought before him and catekised him in regard what he had seen. But all the Col. could get out of him was the woods are full of Indians and he had seen two men fall, but could not tell who they were. Col. Christian ordered every Capt. to call his roll & see who was missing by the time this order was issued Burns and Borker returned and informed Capt. Martin what they had done. Capt. Martin immediately sent a message to Col. Christian informing him that it was useless to put himself to any further troubles for he would be up in a few moments and explain to him all the circumstances connected with King seeing the Indians. Capt. Martin soon arrived at Col. C. tent accompanied by Burns and Baker and informed Col. C. what these men had done and said that he never had better souldiers that they had never disobeyed a single known order of his, and as far as their courage had been tested they were brave and these men had not been in the army long and knew not that they were violating any military law and as for King he was the bigest coward he had ever seen. Col. C. said that Burns and Borker must be punished, Capt. Martin again remonstrated. Said he hoped that the fault would be looked over, and as they were present they could make their own statement, they said that King was such a coward they intended to scare him to death or make a souldier of him, when King started to run they ran after him with a view of overtaking him they followed him within sight of the camp but he was too fast for them but if they had overtaken him there would have been no disturbance. Col. C. ordered them to be put under guard and said they should be punished. Martin again remonstrated but all to no purpose, they were put under guard by this time the circumstances of their case was noised throughout the army and the feelings of almost the entire army was enlisted in their behalf. As soon as

* From this to the end, the MSS. has appeared in the Virginia Magazine Historical and Biographical, Oct., 1899, vol. vii, No. 2, pp. 113-118, the Editor stating that the previous portion, here given, was missing from the MSS. in collection of Virginia Historical Society.

Burns and Borker were put under guard Capt. Martin returned to his tent and remained there a few moments took his sword in his hand and walked where they were, ordered them to follow him and said to the guard that he would stand between them and all danger and he carried his souldiers back to his tent, and that was the last of the affair, no other notice was taken of Burns and Borker by Col. Christian. Capt. Martin forcibly taking his men from the gard produced a coolness between him and Christian which lasted as long as Martin remained with Christian. I do not recollect of seeing them speak or even nod as long as they were together, this was truly to be regretted for they were very intimate. The next morning the army Set out for the Indian towns on the oposite side of the tennessee river, when we arrived there the Indians had all left their towns, and carried with them all their cattle and horses. Col. Christian heard that seven of the eleven towns had declared in favor of war, these seven towns were burnt to the ground, the other four which were opposed to a declaration of war were left unburnt after we had remained there 5 or 6 days a noted Indian chief, Little Carpenter, came in with a white flag and informed Col. Christian that the Indians were tired of war and wanted peace. This Indian was a man of fine intellect, he had been to England and could speak English with as much fluency as any of us, he informed Christian that the Indians had gone a long ways off, and the nearest Indians to him was at Henassee river about 50 miles off-Col. C. not knowing but the Indian was trying to play some trick on him informed the Chief that as an evidence of his sincerity, that he must let two traders accompany him back to his nation and in five or 6 days must return and bring the traders and some more of his chiefs. Little Carpenter returned at the appointed time accompanied by the two traders and 2 chiefs. Col. C. and the 3 chiefs agreeing that these 3 chiefs were to return accompanied by several traders to their nation and bring a sufficient number of their head men to represent their nation. The Indians departed promising to return in a given day, at that day they came in, 5 Indian chiefs Col. C. after being assured that the tribe was fully represented agreed that the Indians were to return accompanied by some traders two of the Indians were to remain as hostages until peace was concluded. Col. C. was to go back with the army to Long Island on the Holston the Indians had the privalage to return to their towns when a sufficient number arrived there, they were to dispatched one of the traders to Col. C. who was to send a guard to meet them at the french broad river, and escort them to long Island where they were to be fed by Col. C. until a final ratification of peace. In a few days after this agreement with the Indians, Col. C. gave orders for the army to march back to the Holston. Capt. Martin sent his Bro. Brice to Col. C. to inform him that he had 6 men on the sick list and one died the day before, it was impossible for him with the number of horses assigned him to carry his sick with their baggage he wished he would furnish him with an additional number of horses, or have their baggage carried by some other conveyance. Col. C. sent him word back that he had no more horses to spare, and if he did not carry their baggage, he should pay for everything that was left, Capt. Martin determined that his sick should be provided for, at the risk of his own purse, he had eleven of their ovens carried and thrown in the river put his sick men on horses and set out with the rest of the army, when they arrived at the Holston Col. C. recognized [reorganized] the army and 600 men were retained at long Island. Capt. Martin was ordered to the Rye Cove fort about 50 miles off on the north fork of Clinch; the balance of the army was discharged. Capt. Martin set out immediately for the fort,—at this place a man by the name of Isac Crisman had built a fort some time before, and while we were gone to the Indian towns, Crisman and 2 of his family

« AnteriorContinuar »