Imágenes de páginas



(Continued from page 157.)

Native Place.
Born. Graduated. Settled.

or died.
Exeter Daniel Rogers

Ipswich, Ms.

1707 Harv., 1725 Aug. 31, 1748 d. Dec. 9, 1785 A New Church was Joseph Brown Chester, England Feb. 8, 1762

1792 dism. 1797
A New Church was Isaac Hurd

Charlestown, Ms. Dec. 7, 1785 Harv., 1806 Sept. 11, 1817

Joseph Hull, s.s. England
John Brock, s.s.
Shadbrook, Eng.
1620 Harv., 1646

d. June 18, 1668
Samuel Belcher, s.s. Ipswich, Ms.

Harv., 1659
John Tucke


Aug. 23, 1702 Harv., 1723 July 26, 1732 Aug. 12, 1773
Josiah Stevens, s.s. Killingworth, Ct.



2, 1804
Samuel Sewall, s.s. Bath, Me.

March 16, 1826
Origen Smith, s.s.

A. Plumer, s.s.
Greenland William Allen

Boston, Ms.

1676 Harv., 1703 July 15, 1707 Sept. 8, 1760
Samuel Macclintock, D.D. Medford, Ms. May 1, 1732 Coll. N. J., 1751 Nov. 3, 1756 April 27, 1804
James A. Neal
Londonderry, N. H.


May 22, 1807 July 18, 1808
Ephraim Abbot
New Castle, Me.

1779 Harv., 1806 Oct. 27, 1813 Oct. 28, 1828
Samuel W. Clark Hancock, N. H. Dec. 15, 1795 Dart., 1823 Aug 5, 1829


EXETER. " Exeter New Church," afterwards called " The Second Church of Christ in Exceter."'* A considerable number of the members of the First Church seceded, and "embodied into a New Church, on a day of Fasting and Prayer, June 7, 1744." There is an error in several publications, giving 1748 as the date of the formation of that church. This error is found on the monumental stone of Rev. Daniel Rogers, in the graveyard, in Exeter. It is not strange that, in so long an inscription, there should have been, through inadvertency, an omission, by the engraver, or in his copy, of the word installed, immediately after the name. The words, Pastor of a church gathered in Exeter, should have been marked by a parenthesis. The inscription on the gravestone was copied by Alden, into his Collections, and thus currency has been, unintentionally, given to the error. Original documents show the facts in the case.

The causes of the secession, which issued in the establishment of a New Church in Exeter, were of a religious nature, but the presentation of them does not come within the scope of this work, and besides, we have not space for their discussion.

The Rev. Daniel Rogers was born in Ipswich, Ms., in 1707, and graduated H. C. 1725. He received ordination, without a pastoral charge, by a council, which met at York, July 13, 1742. The ministers of the council were Rev. Messrs. Jeremiah Wise of Berwick, Me.; Nicholas Gilman of Durham, N. H.; John Rogers of Kittery, (now Eliot,) Me.; and Samuel Moody of York, Me.' Rev. Daniel Rogers “had been many years a tutor in Harvard College, was a pious faithful minister of Jesus Christ, and a worthy son of Rev. John Rogers, pastor of the first church in Ipswich, who died, Dec. 28, 1745, in his 80th year. He was a son of John Rogers of the same place, a physician, and preacher of God's word, and President of Harvard College, who died, July, 2, 1684, aged 54 years. He was eldest son of the Rev. Nathaniel Rogers, who came from England, in 1636, settled at Ipswich, colleague pastor with the Rev. Nathaniel Ward, and died, 'July 2, 1655, aged 57 years. He was son of the Rev. John Rogers, a famous minister of God's word at Dedham, in England, who died Oct. 18, 1639, aged 67 years. He was grandson of John Rogers of London, Prebendary of St Paul's, Vicar of St. Sepulchre's, and Reader of Divinity, who was burnt at Smithfield, Feb. 14, 1555, first martyr in Queen Mary's reign.” [Monumental Stone; Alden's Epitaphs.] Rev. Daniel Rogers died, Dec. 9, 1785, aged 79. When the Covenant of the 2nd church was adopted, it was signed by 30 males and 11 females. During Mr Rogers' ministry, 22 males and 39 females were added. It is well known, that Mr. Whitefield preached a few times at Exeter. During the last week in September, 1770, he preached four times in Portsmouth. On Saturday morning he rode to Exeter, and preached to a large concourse of people, assembled in the open air. It was his last sermon. In the afternoon, he rode to Newburyport, where he died the next morning; on the 30th of September. He was interred on the 2nd of October. Of his pall bearers were Rev. Dr. Haven of Portsmouth, and Rev. Daniel Rogers of Exeter. “When the corpse was placed at the foot of the pulpit close to the vault, the Rev. Daniel Rogers made a very affecting prayer, and openly confessed that under God, he owed his conversion to that man of God whose precious remains now lay before them. Then he cried out, O my father, my father! Then stopped and wept, as though his heart would break; and the people weeping all through the place. Then he recovered, and finished his prayer and sat down and wept.” [Dr. Gillie's Memoirs of Whitefield.]

The Rev. Joseph Brown was educated at Lady Huntingdon's Seminary, and was settled in the ministry at Epping, Essex, England, until he came to this country. When dismissed at Exeter, he removed to Deer Isle, Me., where he was installed, 1804, and where he died, Sept. 13, 1819, aged 57. From the death of Mr. Rogers to the close of Mr. Brown's ministry, in the 2nd church in Exeter, there were added fourteen males, and twenty-four females. During Mr. Brown's residence at Deer Isle, he was engaged in soliciting aid for some

* This is not the church of which the Rev. Mr. Hurd is pastor.

charitable enterprise. For that purpose he called on some of the people of Portsmouth. They received him kindly, and only objected that they had just been doing for this, - that, - and the other objects of benevolence. His reply is worthy of notice for the sentiment it contains :“ I love to come among these have been doing folks.” On the church book are the baptisms of his son Amer. icus, in 1793; his sori Charles Moulson, in 1794 ; and his son Daniel Rogers, in 1797. Rev. Charles M. Brown has been a zealous and useful Seamen's Chaplain. From the close of Mr. Brown's ministry, in the 2nd church in Exeter, to 1802, there were admitted three males, and nine females. There is then a chasm in the records, till Sept. 18, 1823, when a majority of the mem. bers remaining in Exeter, and they females, met at the house of Mrs. Martha Poor. Their proceedings are regularly entered in the church book, the last date being May 22, 1824.

They had no pastor after Mr. Brown. For a few years they had occasional preaching. They never formally disbanded; but most of them united, or mingled in the observance of religious ordinances, with other churches. Their meeting-house stood where Maj. Waddy V. Cobb's house now stands, on Front street.

A New Church was formed Dec. 24, 1813, which is now styled “ The Second Church in Exeter.” The ministers invited on the occasion by Letters Missive from several members of the Religious Society, in the Upper Congregational Society in Exeter,” were the Rev. Messrs. Porter of Rye, Holt of Epping, Abbot of Hampton Falls, Webster of Hampton, and French of North Hampton.

Mr. Hosea Hildreth, professor of mathematies and natural philosophy, in the Academy, and who was also a preacher, supplied the pulpit for some time. Mr. Hildreth was ordained in Gloucester, Ms., in 1825; and installed in Westborough, Ms., in 1834. He died in Sterling, Ms., his native place, July 10, 1835, aged 53.

Rev. Isaac Hurd, pastor of the present Second Church, was born in Charlestown, Ms., Dec. 7, 1785 ; graduated H. C. 1806; studied theology with Rev. Dr. Osgood of Medford, Ms.; and afterwards at Divinity Hall, in Edinburgh, Scotland; and commenced preaching in the city of London. He was ordained pastor of the First Church in Lynn, Ms., Sept. 15, 1813, resigned May 22, 1816, and was, by the unanimous invitation of “The Second Congregational Church, in Exeter," installed their pastor, Sept. 11, 1817. The sermon was preached by the Rev. Daniel Dana, D. D., of Newburyport, from 2 Tim. i : 7. The father of Mr. Hurd was Joseph Hurd, Esq., of Charlestown, Ms.

, whose brother, Isaac Hurd, M. D., graduated at 1. C. in 1776, and was a physician of celebrity, in Concord, Ms. The Rev. Mr. Hurd married, March 16, 1819, Mrs. Elisabeth Emery of Exeter, whose maiden name was Folsom. One of the sons of Mr. Hurd died in early childhood. His other son, Francis Parkman Hurd, graduated at H. C. in 1839, and received the degree of M. D. from the University of Pennsylvania, in 1845.

Gosport, or Star Ísland, is one of a cluster of eight small islands usually called The Isles of Shoals, composed of beds of rocks, partly covered with soil. They are about nine miles from Portsmouth Light House, and twentyone from Newburyport Lights. Five of these islands are within the limits of Maine. Of these, Hog Island is the largest of the whole group, and contains about 350 acres. of the three in New Hampshire, Gosport, or Star Island, formerly called Appledore, is the largest, and contains 150 acres. White Island, on which the Light House is located, is only one acre. These islands were visited, as early as 1614, by the celebrated navigator, John Smith, who gave them his own name; but they have long been called "The Isles of Shoals." They invited settlement, merely by the advantages they furnished for fishery. This business was prosperous, for about a century, previous to the American Revolution. The population varied from 300 to 600, employing a number of schooners and other craft. A meeting-house, previous to 1641, was erected on Hog Island, where the people from the several islands used to assemble. There was also a Court House on the same island. At a subsequent period, a meeting-house was built on Star Island, where the greater part of the inhabitants have resided.

A man,

Rev. Joseph Hull came from England, and settled in Weymouth, Ms., in 1635. He resigned in 1639, and afterwards preached at the Isles of Shoals. He is mentioned as “of the Ísle of Sholes," by Dr. Cotton Mather, in his list of the first class of New England ministers.' [Magnalia, Vol. I., B. 3.)

Rev. John Brock came to New England in 1637. He commenced preaching in Rowley, and afterward labored, a number of years, at the Shoals. He was esteemed eminently pious. The celebrated Mr. Mitchel of Cambridge said of him, " He dwells as near heaven as any man upon earth." Rev. John Allin of Dedham observed," I scarce ever knew any man so familiar with the great God as his dear servant Brock.". There were several remarkable coincidences between Mr. Brock's prayers and providential occurrences afterward. whose principal property was his fishing-boat, and who had been very serviceable in conveying to the place of meeting the inhabitants of other islands, lost his boat in a storm. He lamented his loss to Mr. Brock, who said to him, “Go home, honest man, I'll mention the matter to the Lord, you 'll have your boat to-morrow.” Mr. Brock made the matter a subject of prayer. The next day the anchor of a vessel fastened upon the boat and drew it up.

The people were persuaded by Mr. Brock to observe one day in each month, as an extra season of religious exercises. On one occasion, the roughness of the weather had for several days prevented fishing. On the day of meeting, the weather was fine, and the men wished the meeting put by. Mr. Brock, perceiving that they were determined not to attend, said to them, If you will away, I say unto you, catch fish if you can. But as for you that will tarry, and worship the Lord Jesus Christ this day, I will pray unto him for you, that you may take fish till you are weary. Thirty men went away, and five tarried. The thirty caught but four fishes. The five, who tarried, went out afterward and took about five hundred.

Mr. Brock continued at the Shoals till 1662, when he removed to Reading, Ms., where he was settled, as successor of Rev. Samuel Hough, whose widow he married, and where he continued till his death, in his 68th year. For other particulars of Mr. Brock see Magnalia, Vol. II., B. 4, and Am. Quar. Reg., Vol. VIII., p. 140, and Vol. XI., pp. 176, 190.

Rev. Samuel Belcher, who graduated H. C. in 1659, was preacher at the Shoals in 1672. From 1698 to 1711, he was pastor of the 2nd church in Newbury, which became the 1st in West Newbury. He died in Ipswich, his native place, Aug. 13, 1714, aged 74. “ He was a good scholar, a judicious divine; and a holy, humble man.” [Am. Quar. Reg., Vol. VII., p. 259.]

Rev. John Tucke is understood to have been the only pastor ever ordained at the Shoals. The writer of this article has not been able to ascertain how the people were supplied, during the forty years immediately preceding the setilement of Mr. Tucke. Mr. Tucke was the son of John, who was the son of Edward, who was the son of Robert, who emigrated from Gorlston, Suffolk, Eng., about the year 1636, and was among the first settlers in Hampton, N. H. Mr. Tucke's ordination sermon was preached by Rev. Jabez Fitch of Portsmouth, from Matt. iv: 19— I will make you fishers of men. It is said that Mr. Tucke was furnished with a large library, and was, notwithstanding his isolated situation, extensively acquainted with the affairs of his times. He was one of the forty-five ministers, whose attestations, by letter, to the revival in 1743, were published. His remains rest in Gosport. The following inscription on his monumental stone, has been considered a just tribute to his memory.

are the remains of the
Rev. John Tuck, A. M.

He graduated at Harvard
College A. D. 1723 — was ordained

here July 26. 1732
and died August 12. 1773.

Æ. 72.
He was affable and polite in his manners;

amiable in his disposition;
of great Piety and Integrity;

given to hospitality;

Diligent and faithful in his pastoral
office, well learned in History and

Geography, as well as general
Science, and a careful Physician
both to the bodies and

The souls of
his people.

Mr. Tucke married, Nov. 26, 1724, Mary Dole of Hampton, a descendant of Richard Dole of Newbury.

Rev. John Tucke, son of Mr. Tucke of the Shoals, was born in 1740, graduated H. C. 1758; ordained at Epsom, Sept. 23, 1761, married, March 4, 1762, to Mary, daughter of Rev. Samuel Parsons of Rye. Love M., daughter of Mr. Tucke of Epsom, married Simeon Drake. These last mentioned were the parents of Samuel G. Drake, M. A., of Boston. Mr. Tucke of Epsom remained in that place till the time of the Revolution. While on his way to join the army as Chaplain, he was taken with the small-pox, of which he died in Salem, N. Y., Feb. 9, 1777, in the 37th year of his age.

Not long after the death of the Rev. Mr. Tucke of Gosport, the war of the Revolution commenced. The inhabitants were exceedingly exposed; business was arrested, and many left the Islands not to return. The population for the last half century, has varied from 66 to 103. The preachers who have resided there have also instructed the school, and have been supported in part, by the inhabitants, and in part by contributions from benevolent societies, and individuals. Near the beginning of the present century, Rev. Josiah Stevens was located at the Shoals. There was at that time, a comfortable parsonage house, and a stone meeting-house, which was also the school-house, on Gosport. Mr. Stevens was much respected and beloved, and very useful as a minister and teacher. He was born in Killingworth, Ct., about 1740. In mature age, he removed, with his wife and five or six children, to Newport, N. H. He aided in founding the church in that place, and was one of its deacons. He served two short terms in the Revolutionary war; and was in the battle of Bennington. A fellow-soldier spake of him, as a man of decided piety, who amidst the bustle of the camp, was constant in his morning and evening devotions. Immediately after the adoption of the State Constitution, he received a civil commission, and transacted much business, as a magistrate. He was often engaged in teaching, After commencing to preach, he labored for a time in Goshen. His father was Josiah Stevens. A son of Rev. Mr. Stevens, Maj. Josiah Stevens, was also a deacon of the church in Newport, where he died, in 1844, aged 81. He was father of Hon. Josiah Stevens of Concord, who was born in Newport, Jan. 28, 1795, and was in 1838 elected Secretary of State. His eldest son is Josiah. The Rev. Mr. Stevens died in Gosport, where the following inscription is found on his gravestone:

In memory of the Rev. Josiah Stevens, a faithful instructor of youth, and pious minister of Jesus Christ, (supported on this Island, by the Society for propagating the gospel,) who died, July 2, 1804, aged 64 years.

Rev. Samuel Sewall, who labored several years as pastor in Edgecomb, Me., removed in 1824 to the Isles of Shoals,“ being employed by a benevolent society in Newburyport and vicinity, as a missionary, and continued in this employment until the time of his death.” He died in Rye, N. H., after a short sickness, March 16, 1826, leaving the character of an exemplary Christian, and a devoted and useful minister. Rev. Origen Smith, of the Free-will Baptist denomination, preached there in 1837. Recently, the Society for Propagating the Gospel have employed Rev. A. Plumer as preacher, and Mrs. Plumer, as teacher.

GREENLAND. It is not ascertained when the church was gathered at Greenland. It consisted of nineteen members when the Rev. William Allen, their first minister, was ordained. He was born in Boston, Ms., in 1676, graduated H. C. in 1703 ; ordained July 15, 1707; died, Sept. 8, 1760, aged 84. Rev. Dr. Langdon, in his sermon at the ordination of Mr. Macclintock, as colleague, said

« AnteriorContinuar »